2nd Cavalry Battalion [also called 3rd Battalion] was organized at Camp Lee, Maury County, Tennessee, in July, 1861. It contained five companies, but later was increased to six. Early in 1862 many of the men were sick. In May it merged into the 6th Tennessee Cavalry Regiment. Its commanders were Lieutenant Colonels Jacob B. Biffle and Samuel H. Jones, and Major Nicholas N. Cox.