2nd (Smith's) Cavalry Regiment [also called 10th or 11th Battalion] was organized in February, 1862, with eight companies. During April its numbers had increased to regimental strength. The unit served in the Department of East Tennessee, but was soon mustered out of service. Two companies were transferred to the 4th (Starnes') Tennessee Cavalry Regiment and some of the men joined Alabama commands. Colonel E. S. Smith and Lieutenant Colonel Zachariah Thomason were in command.