4th Cavalry Battalion [also called 1st or 2nd Battalion] was organized in August, 1861, with six companies. Its members were from the counties of Knox, Hamilton, Monroe, Union, Claiborne, Hawkins, Bledsoe, and Jefferson. In September the unit contained 490 effectives and confronted the Federals in Kentucky. During May, 1862, it merged into the 2nd (Ashby's) Tennessee Cavalry Regiment. Lieutenant Colonel Benjamin M. Branner and Major John M. Bridgman were in command.