Murray's Cavalry Regiment [also called 4th Regiment] was organized in August, 1862, using Spiller's Tennessee Cavalry Battalion as its nucleus. The unit was attached to Wharton's Brigade and fought at Perryville and Murfreesborough. On January 23, 1863, it disbanded. Four companies transferred to Baxter Smith's 8th Cavalry, four to the 22nd Infantry Regiment, and two to the 1st Confederate Cavalry Regiment. The field officers were Colonel John P. Murray, Lieutenant Colonels Baxter Smith and C.C. Spiller, and Major Willis S. Bledsoe.