7th Cavalry Battalion was organized at Camp Jim Davis, Macon County, Tennessee, in November, 1861, with six companies. Its members were from Sumner and Smith counties. The unit served in the Department of East Tennessee and was later active at Shiloh. In June, 1862, it merged into Barteau's 2nd Tennessee Cavalry which later became 22nd (Barteau's) Tennessee Cavalry Regiment. Lieutenant Colonel James D. Bennett and Major Baxter Smith were in command.