1st (Colms') Infantry Battalion [also called 20th Battalion] was organized at Camp Weakley, Tennessee, in January, 1862, with five companies. A total of 997 men were enrolled from DeKalb and White counties. It moved to Fort Donelson and in February was captured. After being exchanged, the battalion participated in the conflicts at Chickasaw Bayou, Raymond, Port Hudson, Chickamauga, and Missionary Ridge. It had 43 men disabled at Raymond and of the 82 engaged at Chickamauga, fifty-four percent were disabled. In December, 1863, the unit totaled 60 men and 24 arms, and during February, 1864, it was consolidated with the 50th (Old) Tennessee Regiment to form the 50th (New) Tennessee Regiment.