36th Infantry Regiment was formed at Knoxville, Tennessee, during February, 1862. Men of this command were from Knoxville and Bradley, Hamilton, and Marion counties. It served in the Department of East Tennessee and took part in the Cumberland Gap operations. In June it disbanded; some of its members were then transferred to the 35th, 43rd, and 63rd Tennessee Infantry Regiments. The field officers were Colonel Robert J. Morgan, Lieutenant Colonel John A. Dunn, and Major William A. Camp.