Abat's-Dashiell's Battery was organized during the summer of 1862 with 125 officers and men. Serving in the Trans-Mississippi Department, the unit was stationed at various locations in Texas including Bonham, McKinney, Hempstead, Galveston, and Texarkana. In December, 1863, it was converted to a battery of horse artillery and in 1864 was assigned to the 6th Artillery Battalion. On August 31, it reported 3 officers and 62 men present for duty. The company ended the war at Jonesville, Texas and was included in the surrender. Its commanders were Captains Edward Abat and George R. Dashiell.