Daniel's Battery was organized in Lamar County and accepted into Confederate service at Paris, Texas, in June, 1861, with 6 officers and 51 men. Attached to the Trans-Mississippi Department, the unit primarily fought in Louisiana including the operations against Banks' Red River Campaign. Later it was assigned to the 4th Artillery Battalion and ended the war near Natchitoches. The battery was included in the surrender on June 2, 1865. Captain James M. Daniel was in command.