Edgar's Battery, recruited in San Antonio, was organized in July, 1861. The unit was assigned to the Trans-Mississippi Department and participated in numerous conflicts in Louisiana. During the Red River Campaign its guns and 4 officers and 45 men were captured. After being exchanged it was placed in the 4th Artillery Battalion and was near Natchitoches when the department surrendered in June, 1865. Captain William Edgar was in command.