Mechling's-Haldeman's Battery was formed in July, 1861, with men from Bell and Bexar counties. The unit serve in the Trans-Mississippi Department and participated in various conflicts in Louisiana including the operations against the Federal Red River Campaign. It was assigned to the 4th Artillery Battalion and in 1865 was stationed at Shreveport. On June 2 the battery was included in the surrender. Its commanders were Captains Horace Haldeman and W. T. Mechling.