This flag is from the Sixth Texas Cavalry Battalion (Gould's Battalion). It is an unusual variant of the Stars and Bars, with only a single large star in the canton containing eleven smaller stars. in the white bar of the field is a large shield with a star and the word "TEXAS" inscribed.
Compliments of Texas Military Images
6th Cavalry Battalion was formed late in 1862 with about 400 officers and men. It was attached to the Trans-Mississippi Department and served in Texas and Louisiana until December, 1864. At that time the unit disbanded. Its commanders were Lieutenant Colonel Robert S. Gould and Major William W. Veser.