The Eighth Texas Infantry battalion of the Confederate States Army was organized by Alfred Marmaduke Hobbyqv in Refugio County on May 14, 1862. It later became known as Hobby's Eighth Texas Infantry regiment. It consisted of three companies under captains Robert E. Jones, William E. McCampbell, and P. H. Breeden. A fourth company under Edwin E. Hobby was added on June 20, 1862, and a fifth, under José M. Peñaloza, completed the battalion. The battalion trained at Camp Charles Russell near Banquete until July 19, 1862, when it was ordered to defend Corpus Christi as a part of the Twenty-ninth Brigade. There it was joined by various other units of light artillery and mounted rifles and in February 1863 became the Eighth Texas Infantry regiment, with a staff including John Ireland, J. A. Throckmorton, Daniel D. Shea, and others.