Albermarle Light Artillery [also called Albermarle Everett Artillery] was organized during June, 1861, with men from Albermarle County. The unit was assigned to the 1st Regiment Virginia Artillery but served as an independent command. It was attached to L. M. Coleman's, R. S. Andrews', and W T. Poague's Battalion of Artillery. After fighting in the Seven Days' Battles, it moved to North Carolina and saw action at New Bern. Later the battery participated in the campaigns of the Army of Northern Virginia from Gettysburg to Cold Harbor, then aided in the defense of Petersburg and was active around Appomattox. It reported 2 wounded during the Seven Days' Battles and fourteen percent of the 94 engaged at Gettysburg. On April 9, 1865, it surrendered with 3 officers and 45 men. Captains Charles F. Johnston, William H. Southall, and James W Wyatt were in command.