Alleghany Light Artillery was organized at Covington, Virginia, in April 1861, with 83 officers and men. It was also called Alleghany Roughs and later Carpenter's Battery. The unit fought at First Manassas, was part of Jackson's Valley operations, then joined the Army of Northern Virginia. Here it served in R. S. Andrews', J. W. Latimer's, and C. M. Braxton's Battalion of Artillery. It participated in many conflicts from the Seven Days' Battles to Cold Harbor, moved with Early to the Shenandoah Valley, and was active around Appomattox. This battery had 2 killed and 7 wounded at Malvern Hill, lost twenty-six percent of the 91 engaged at Gettysburg, and reported 10 casualties at Spotsylvania. Many were captured at. Five Forks, and only 1 man surrendered on April 9, 1865. It was commanded by Captains John C. Carpenter, Joseph Carpenter, and Thompson McAllister.