Bedford Light Artillery completed its organization in January 1861, at Liberty, Bedford County, Virginia, with men from the immediate area. The unit served in the Department of the Peninsula, then was assigned to S. D. Lee's, E. P. Alexander's, and F. Huger's Battalion of Artillery. It participated in many conflicts of the Army of Northern Virginia from the Seven Days' Battles to Cold Harbor except when it was detached with Longstreet at Knoxville. The battery was active in the Petersburg siege north of the James River and the Appomattox Campaign. It totaled 63 men in June 1862, had 1 man killed at Fredericksburg, and of the 78 engaged at Gettysburg, twelve percent were disabled. On April 9, 1865, it surrendered with 5 officers and 61 men. Captains Tyler C. Jordan and John D. Smith were in command.
Reference for rosters: Ashland, Bedford, and Taylor Virginia Light Artillery. 1st Edition. by Marilyn Brewer Koleszar. Printed by H. E. Howard, Inc. Lynchburg, Virginia.