Botetourt Light Artillery

Botetourt Light Artillery was organized with men from Botetourt County in May 1861, as an infantry company. It was assigned to the 28th Regiment Virginia Infantry but in December transferred to the artillery. The unit soon moved west and was attached to the Department of East Tennessee and later the Department of Mississippi and East Louisiana. It contained 43 men in January 1863, and it was the only Virginia unit to be captured at Vicksburg. After being exchanged, it served in the Department of Western Virginia and East Tennessee where it was active in various conflicts. During April 1865, the company disbanded. Its commanders were Captains Joseph W. Anderson, Henry C. Douthat, and John W. Johnston.

Bowyer, Woodville Kade, John
Britt, John Kade, Thomas
Broughman, Jacob Kay, Henry
Dogan, Wm. Keister, Benjamin C.
Fagan, John S. Kesler, Green
Fleshman, Hary Lee, Rowland, Lt.
Haselwood, James Macfarland, Thomas
Jenkins, Charles B.F. Mathneney, Peachy H.
Johnson, E.L. Tutherford, Thomas H.

Previous Page