Bowyer's-Johnson's Battery, recruited in Bedford County, was organized in May, 1861, as an infantry company. Assigned to the 28th Regiment, it was transferred to the artillery in August. The unit was involved in the Seven Days' Battles and the Second Manassas Campaign, then reported 11 casualties at Sharpsburg. On October 4, 1862, it disbanded and its 52 men were equally distributed to the Purcell and Fauquier Light Artillery Companies. The battery was commanded by Captains Thomas M. Bowyer and John R. Johnson.