Caroline Light Artillery was organized in July, 1861, with men recruited in Caroline County. It soon moved to Charleston and was attached to the Department of South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida. The unit returned to Virginia in August, 1863, and attached to the Department of Richmond aided in the defense of Petersburg. Later it participated in the Appomattox Campaign and surrendered 1 officer and 11 men. Its commander was Captain Thomas R. Thornton.