Chew's-Thompson's Battery [also called "Ashby" Horse Artillery) was organized at Flowing Spring, Jefferson County, Virginia, in November, 1861. It was active at First Manassas and in Jackson's Valley Campaign, then served in J. Pelham's, R. F. Beckham's, and J. Breathed's Battalion, Army of Northern Virginia. The battery participated in the campaigns of the army from the Seven Days' Battles to Cold Harbor, then was involved in Early's operations in the Shenandoah Valley and the Appomattox Campaign. It was organized with 33 men, took 99 effectives to Gettysburg but was not engaged, and was included in the surrender on April 9, 1865. Its commanders were Captains J. W. Carter, R. Preston Chew, and James W. Thomson.