Davidson's-Chamberlayne's Battery was assembled in April, 1862, with men from Southwestern Virginia, Tennessee, and Kentucky. It was attached to the 13th Battalion Virginia Artillery, but served as an independent command. During the war it was assigned to J. F. King's, J. H. Gibbes', and W. W. Owen's Battalion of Artillery. After serving in Western Virginia it moved to Tennessee, fought in the Knoxville Campaign, then returned to Virginia. Here it participated in the defense of Petersburg and Richmond, and disbanded early in 1865. The battery was commanded by Captains John H. Chamberlayne and George S. Davidson.