Fauquier Light Artillery was organized as infantry in June, 1861, and assigned to the 49th Regiment Virginia Infantry as Company G (1st). In September or October it transferred to the artillery. Attached to the Army of Northern Virginia the unit served in J. Dearing's, J. P. W. Read's (38th Battalion), and R. M. Stribling's Battalion of Artillery. It participated in various conflicts from Williamsburg to Gettysburg, moved to North Carolina, and later saw action in the Plymouth expedition. Returning to Virginia, it was on the Bermuda Hundred line, fought at Cold Harbor, then took part in the defense of Petersburg and the Appomattox Campaign. This battery reported 5 men disabled of the 134 engaged at Gettysburg, sustained 9 casualties at Kelly's Ford, and surrendered with only 3 men. Its commanders were Captains William C. Marshall and Robert M. Stribling.