Giles Light Artillery (also called Pearisburg Reserves] was organized in June, 1861, with men raised in Giles County. The unit served in Western Virginia, then moved to Tennessee. Here it was captured in the fight at Fort Donelson in February, 1862. When exchanged, the unit returned to Virginia and participated in the Maryland Campaign. Later it was attached to the Department of Richmond, assigned to A. W. Stark's Battalion of Artillery, and aided in the defense of Petersburg. The company took part in the Appomattox Campaign and surrendered with no officers and 66 men. It was under the command of Captains David A. French and William McComas.