Hampden Light Artillery was organized at Richmond, Virginia, in May, 1861, with men from Richmond. After serving in Jackson's Valley Campaign, it was assigned to R. S. Andrews', J. Dearing's, H. P. Jones', J. P. W. Read's (38th Battalion), and R. M. Stribling's Battalion of Artillery, Army of Northern Virginia. The unit was active from the Seven Days' Battles to Gettysburg, moved to North Carolina, and later was involved in the Plymouth expedition. Returning to Virginia, it fought on the Bermuda Hundred line and at Cold Harbor, participated in the defense of Petersburg, and ended the war at Appomattox. The battery was commanded by Captains William H. Caskie, Lawrence S. Marye, and John E. Sullivan.