Jackson's Battery [also called Charlottesville Horse Battery] was organized in May, 1863, with men from John P. Hale's Battery which was broken up by its capture at Fort Donelson in February, 1862, and recruits and transfers principally from the 8th Regiment Virginia Cavalry. It was assigned to Jenkins' Cavalry Brigade, Lomax's Horse Artillery Battalion, and in 1865, M. Johnson's Battalion. This unit took 54 men to Gettysburg, then served in southwest Virginia and in Early's Shenandoah Valley operations. In March 1865, it moved to North Carolina. Captain Thomas E. Jackson was in command.