James City Light Artillery was organized as infantry during the summer of 1861 and became Company H of the 32nd Virginia Infantry. Later it was transferred to the 1st Regiment Virginia Artillery as Company B. The unit fought in the Seven Days' Battles, then transferred to the Department of Richmond and later took part in the operations against Petersburg. Early in 1865 the battery ceased to exist, but 2 of its members surrendered at Appomattox. Captains Alex Hankins and Lucien W. Richardson were in command.