King William Light Artillery was formed in the spring of 1861 with men raised in King William County. The battery served in T. H. Carter's, R. C. M. Page's, and W. E. Cutshaw's Battalion of Artillery. It participated in various conflicts from Seven Pines to Cold Harbor, moved with Early to the Shenandoah Valley, and was active around Appomattox. The unit reported 3 wounded at Gaines' Mill, 6 casualties during the Maryland Campaign, and twenty-two percent of the 103 engaged at Gettysburg disabled. It surrendered with 1 officer and 22 men. Captains Thomas H. Carter and William P. Carter were its commanders.