Lunenberg Heavy Artillery was organized in January 1862, and became Company F of the 2nd Regiment Virginia Artillery. When this command was broken up, the battery continued to serve as an independent unit. It was assigned to the Department of Richmond and for a time was stationed at Chaffin's Bluff. Early in 1864 it was converted to infantry and surrendered 17 men at Appomattox. The company was commanded by Captains Cornelius T. Allen and Samuel W. Hawthorne.