Martin's Battery was organized in April 1862, with men from North Carolina and Virginia. For a time it was attached to the 12th Battalion Virginia Artillery. Later the men from North Carolina were transferred to the 13th North Carolina Artillery Battalion. This company served at Suffolk, then was assigned to F. G. Boggs', B. F. Eshleman's, and N. A. Sturdivant's Battalion of Artillery. Much of the time it was attached to the Department of Richmond and on duty south of the James River. The unit had 1 man wounded at Kelly's Store and in February 1864, totaled 48 effectives. In March 1865, it was converted to heavy artillery and manned the guns on the outer line below Richmond. Captain S. Taylor Martin was in command.