Mathews Light Artillery was formed in July 1861, with men from Mathews County. It first served at Yorktown, then assigned to General Wise's command saw action in the Seven Days' Battles. Later it was stationed at Chaffin's Bluff. The battery was then attached to A. W. Stark's Battalion of Artillery, Department of Richmond, and for some time was on duty at Chaffin's Farm near Petersburg. It was active north of the James River and surrendered with the Army of Northern Virginia. On April 9, 1865, the unit contained 70 men. Captain Andrew D. Armistead was its commander.