McComas'-French's Battery was formed in May 1861, with men from Giles County. After serving in western Virginia it moved east and was assigned to the Wise Legion. The battery was later placed in A. W. Stark's Battalion, Department of Richmond, and stationed at Chaffin's Farm. It was active north of the James River and in the Appomattox Campaign. On April 9, 1865, the unit surrendered with 66 men. Captains David A. French and William W. McComas were in command.