Nelson Light Artillery No. 1 was organized in September 1861 with men recruited in Nelson County. After serving in the Potomac District the unit was transferred to the Department of South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida. It fought at Coosawhatchie and was active on James Island and at Charleston. During October 1863, it returned to Virginia unequipped and wintered near Cobham's Depot. Later the company received its equipment and was placed in H. C. Cabell's and J. C. Haskell's Battalion of Artillery, Army of Northern Virginia. It participated in The Wilderness Campaign, was involved in the Petersburg siege, north and south of the James River, and ended the war at Appomattox. It lost 4 killed and 14 wounded at Coosawhatchie and in April, 1864, it contained 2 officers and 107 men. The company surrendered with 1 officer and 12 men. Captains James N. Lamkin and Woodville Latham were in command.