Nelson Light Artillery No. 2 was organized during August 1861, with men from Nelson County. This battery was assigned to A. W. Stark's, J. M. Maury's, and C. E. Lightfoot's Battalion, Department of Richmond. For a time it was stationed at Chaffin's Farm near Petersburg, then was active in the Richmond and Petersburg lines and the Appomattox Campaign. In July 1862, it contained 2 officers and 69 men, but only 2 were present at the surrender. Captain J. Henry Rives was in command.