Norfolk Blues Light Artillery was formed in 1828 and placed on active duty in April, 1861, as Company H (1st), 16th Regiment Virginia Infantry. During March 1862, it was transferred to the artillery. The unit was assigned to J. J. Garnett's and C. Richardson's Battalion of Artillery, Army of Northern Virginia. It participated in various conflicts from the Seven Days' Battles to Cold Harbor, then was active in the operations against Petersburg and the Appomattox Campaign. This battery took 106 effectives into the fight at Gettysburg and surrendered on April 9, 1865, with 1 Warrant Officer and 13 men. Captains Charles R. Grandy and Jacob Vickery were in command.