Nottoway Light Artillery was organized in June, 1861, with men recruited in Nottoway County. The unit served in western Virginia and east Tennessee, then was assigned to A. Leyden's, S. C. Williams', and R. F. Kolb's Battalion of Artillery, Army of Tennessee. It participated in numerous engagements from Chickamauga to Atlanta, then was reported at Macon, Georgia, in September 1864. It contained 60 effectives in March 1862, 78 in December 1863, and 69 in April 1864. The battery disbanded during the winter of 1864-1865. Captain William C. Jeffress was its commander.