Orange Light Artillery was formed at Richmond, Virginia, in May 1861. After serving in the Department of the Peninsula, it was assigned to H. P. Jones', T. H. Carter's, R. C. M. Page's, and W. E. Cutshaw's Battalion of Artillery, Army of Northern Virginia. The unit served in the Richmond area, then fought with the army from the Maryland Campaign to Cold Harbor. It was part of Early's operations in the Shenandoah Valley and ended the war at Appomattox. This battery reported 3 casualties at Fredericksburg, lost ten percent of the 80 engaged at Gettysburg, and surrendered with 20 men. Its commanders were Captains Charles w. Fry and Thomas J. Peyton.