Pamunkey Heavy Artillery was organized in May 1861, with men from New Kent County. This company was attached to the Department of Richmond and first served at West Point, Virginia. Later it was on duty at Chaffin's Bluff. Early in 1864 it was converted to infantry and only 5 men were present at Appomattox. Captains Robert T. Ellett and Andrew J. Jones were in command.