Petersburg Light Artillery was formed in 1843 and entered Confederate service during April 1861. The unit was involved at Malvern Cliff on June 30, 1862, and lost half its equipment though not directly part of the action. In July only 24 effectives were present. - Later it was attached to the Department of North Carolina and in 1864 converted to horse artillery. Serving in R. P. Crew's Battalion, Army of Northern Virginia, the battery was active south of the James River and in the Appomattox Campaign. It surrendered 2 officers and 19 men. Captains Edward Graham and James N. Nichols were in command.