Ringgold Light Artillery was organized in February 1862. It was attached to the 13th Battalion Virginia Artillery but for some time operated as an independent command. The unit served in western Virginia and, assigned to J. F. King's Battalion sustained 5 casualties during the Kanawha Valley Campaign. During December it contained 3 officers and 87 men. Later it was involved in the Knoxville Campaign and fought at Cloyd's Mountain and New River Bridge. The battery then was attached to W. H. Gibbes' Battalion, Army of Northern Virginia, participated in the defense of Petersburg, and ended the war at Appomattox as infantry. Its commanders were Captains Crispin Dickenson and Timothy H. Stamps.