Smith's Battery [also called Hampton Artillery] was organized in May 1861, with men from Elizabeth City County. It was assigned to the 1st Regiment Virginia Artillery, but served as an independent company. The battery was stationed at Ship Point on the Poquosin River, then at Yorktown. During June 1862, it was ordered to disband and the men transferred to other Virginia units. Captain Charles L. Smith was in command.