Southside Light Artillery was organized in January 1862, with men from Chesterfield County. It was assigned to the 2nd Regiment Virginia Artillery and when that unit disbanded, it became an independent command. For a time the battery was unattached, then it served in the Department of North Carolina and Southern Virginia and later the Department of Richmond. It participated in various conflicts around Suffolk and in the siege operations against Petersburg. However, much of its service was at Drewry's Bluff. Converted to infantry, the company ended the war at Appomattox. Where 1 officer and 67 men surrendered. Its commanders were Captains John W. Brewry and James B. Jones.