Staunton Light Artillery was organized at Staunton, Virginia, in 1859 and entered Confederate service in June, 1861. The men were from Augusta County. It participated in the Battle of First Manassas, then was active at West Point, Virginia. Later it was assigned to A. R. Courtney's, H. P. Jones', and W. E. Cutshaw's Battalion of Artillery The company fought with the Army of Northern Virginia from the Seven Days' Battles to Cold Harbor, moved with Early to the Shenandoah Valley, and was involved in the Appomattox Campaign. This unit totaled 111 effectives in April 1862, had 60 in action at Gettysburg, and surrendered with no officers and 54 men. Captains William L. Balthis, Asher W. Garber, and John D. Imboden were in command.