Surry Light Artillery was organized as infantry and assigned to the 3rd Regiment Virginia Infantry. During April 1862, it was transferred to the artillery. The unit was assigned to the Richmond defenses and later to C. E. Lightfoot's Battalion, Department of North Carolina and Southern Virginia. It participated in the operations against Petersburg and ended the war at Appomattox with 19 men. Its commanders were Captains James D. Hankins and Thomas W. Ruffin.