Turner Light Artillery was organized in August 1861, with men from Goochland County. It moved to South Carolina, fought at Port Royal Ferry, then in July 1862, returned to Virginia. Here the unit saw action at Rappannock Station, but during October it was ordered to disband. Its 48 men were transferred to the King William Light Artillery. Captain Walter D. Leake was its commander.