Williamsburg Light Artillery was formed in May 1861, with men from James City County. It served at Yorktown with 50 men, and for a time was assigned to the 1st Regiment Virginia Artillery. The battery was active from Williamsburg to Sharpsburg, then in October 1862, disbanded. Its members were transferred to other Virginia artillery companies. The unit was under the command of Captains John A. Coke and William R. Garrett.