39th Cavalry Battalion

Roster

Field & Staff

A

B

C

D

39th Cavalry Battalion [also called Richardson's Battalion of Scouts, Guides, and Couriers] was organized with two companies, later increased to four. it was attached to General Headquarters, Army of Northern Virginia, and served as General R. E. Lee's personal cavalry command. The unit participated in every engagement at which General Lee was present from Fredericksburg to Appomattox. On April 9, 1865, it contained 1 officer and 80 men. Major John H. Richardson was in command.

Previous Page