1st Infantry Battalion Local
Defense Troops

Rosters

Field & Staff
 

A

B

C

D

E

F

1st Infantry Battalion Local Defense Troops was organized in May 1861, with six companies. Since its members were from the Ordnance Department, it was often called the Ordnance or Armory Battalion. It was organized exclusively for the defense of Richmond and vicinity, and in July had about 300 men. During June 1864, the unit was under the command of General G. W. C. Lee and assigned to the Department of Richmond. Most of the officers and men were captured at Sayler's Creek, April 6, 1865. The field officers were Majors Thomas H. Ayres, William S. Downer, and Charles H. Ford.

Previous Page