The 24th Battalion Virginia Partisan Rangers was organized on May 23, 1862 under the leadership of Major John Scott. This battalion was composed of four companies, A, B, C, and one known by its captain's surname, Cropper. Cropper's company appears to have served earlier in the war as the Richmond Flying Artillery. Muster rolls for this battalion have not been located and information about these companies has been taken from bounty rolls, transfer orders, pay slips, a few enlistment documents, and a few discharge papers.
This battalion was noted for its rowdy behavior, in fact, their performance was so bad the battalion was ordered disbanded on January 5, 1863 by Special Orders No. 3, Adjutant and Inspector Generals Office.