26th Infantry Battalion was organized in May 1862, with men of the 59th Regiment Virginia Infantry who escaped capture at the Battle of Roanoke Island. It contained seven companies, but was increased to nine in June 1863. The unit was assigned to Echols' and Patton's Brigade, and saw action in Tennessee, western Virginia, and the Shenandoah Valley. During April 1865, it disbanded. The field officers were Lieutenant Colonel George M. Edgar and Major Richard Woodram.