34th Infantry Regiment was organized in May 1862, with men from Norfolk, Richmond, and Yorktown, and the counties of Gloucester, Mecklenburg, Bedford, Greene, and King and Queen. For almost two years the unit served as heavy artillery attached to the Department of Richmond and was known as the 4th Heavy Artillery. In May 1864 it was assigned to Wise's Brigade as infantry. It participated in the long Petersburg siege south of the James River and saw action in various conflicts around Appomattox. It contained 466 effectives in June 1862, and surrendered 14 officers and 210 men. The field officers were Colonel John T. Goode, Lieutenant Colonel Randolph Harrison, and Major John R. Bagby.